The Advent and Christmas season brings a sweet danger for the cat and dog: Chocolate . The containing cocoa sweets contains the alkaloid theobromine, which is closely related to the caffeine. Taken in larger quantities is theobromine for dogs and cats is a poison , because they can metabolize it slowly.
How much chocolate is toxic? The theobromine content in the chocolate products is variable. Least contains white chocolate, the highest content have dark chocolate and real cocoa powder. If you have observed or even suspect that your pet has eaten chocolate or cocoa, then you should consult a veterinary practice immediately. Up to three hours after ingestion of chocolate can be an animal , if it does not seems nervous , be brought there to vomiting. To bind the poison in the gastrointestinal tract, additionally activated charcoal is administered. Finally infusions are given in order to dilute the theobromine in the bloodstream , thus reducing the burden on the body of the animal.
The first signs of acute chocolate poisoning are frequently observed until four hours after admission . What happens to the animal if it has eaten chocolate? Theobromine acts like caffeine stimulating. The animals are restless or hyperactive. The symptoms include muscle tremors , extreme thirst , frequent urination , nausea , vomiting, increased heart rate and blood pressure. The threshold of the nerves is reduced , which can lead to life-threatening seizures. Even if these fail , it may take up to three days until the animal recovers from a chocolate poisoning